Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual's right to self-defense.
This is an eight-hour course. Students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and course completion certificate.
- Mental Preparation
- Strategies for Home & Personal Safety
- Developing Defensive Shooting Skills
- Firearms, Self Defense and the Law
- Selecting Firearms, ammunition & Accessories
- Participants will learn and Experience:
- 2 Live Fire Practice Sessions
- Defensive Shooting Safety
- Firearms Storage
- Defensive Mindset
- Center of Exposed Mass
- Defensive Accuracy
- Shooting Positions
- Flash Sight Picture
- Point Shooting
- Multiple Shots
- Breaking Tunnel Vision, & Auditory Exclusion
- Multiple Assailants
- Cover vs. Concealment
- Dry Fire Practice
- Discussion to include:
- Making Yourself Safer
- Making Your Home Safer
- Safe Room
- Confronting an Intruder
- Aftermath of a Shooting
- Self Defense and the Law
- Selecting a Firearm for Personal Protection
- Selecting Ammunition for Personal Protection
- Purchase, Transfer & Possession of Firearms
- Use of Deadly Force
- Potential Criminal & Civil Actions
- There will be no shooting from the holster.
.38, 9mm or larger caliber handgun, 200 rounds of ammo, Hearing protection, eye protection, long pants, closed toed shoes
NRA Basic Pistol, NRA FIRST Steps, or equivalent
The course will be offered to the first 6 participants who sign up. Course fee is $275
(paid in advance, non-refundable).
A minimum of four students is necessary to hold class.